How to Get Grease Out of Carpet in 4 Ways
Author: Anne Cowart | Editor: Omar Alonso
Review & Research: Jen Worst & Chris Miller
When it comes to cleaning the grease out of the carpet, we often don't know the correct methods. Now the question is, how to get grease out of carpet? Here we'll share some professional tips so you can clean your carpet at home like a pro.
Dirty carpets are a nightmare for any home. No matter how hard we try to keep our carpet clean, it still gets dirty or stained for countless reasons. Depsite our best efforts, it's not uncommon to spill some grease on the carpet in any household.
And don't worry when we say "professional tips." You will most probably have all these elements lying around your home already. So, if your carpet has grease on it, let's clean that up.
How to Get Grease Out of Carpet
Getting grease out of the carpet appears to be a difficult task. However, if you know the appropriate tactics, you can easily accomplish this and save your favorite rug from being thrown away.
The methods we are going to share are effective when it comes to removing grease from the carpet. So, let's get this ball rolling.
Method 1: Using Baking Soda
Baking soda is a common item that almost every household has. So, if you know how to utilize this element in removing grease from carpet, it will save you a few bucks, and you don't need to buy a toxic chemical cleaner from the grocery store.
To perform this method, you will need the following items:
- Baking soda
- Spray bottle
- Vacuum cleaner
- Soft towel
- Brush with soft bristles
Fortunately, you likely have all of these items around the house and can gather them together in a matter of minutes. Now let's look at how to remove grease from carpet with the tools on hand.
Steps to Follow
Fresh grease is easier to remove compared to an old stain. If the grease has dried completely, scrape as much as you can from the carpet. You can use a spoon or a dull butter knife so that these metals don't harm the carpet. Now follow the steps mentioned below.
- Sprinkle baking soda over the greasy area generously. It will soak the grease from the surface eventually.
- Now, let the baking soda sit for a bit. For a better result, keep the baking soda for at least 5-10 minutes. Then vacuum the baking soda from the carpet.
Note: Depending on the condition, you might need to use a soft brush to break down the grease a little more. Also, the baking soda can gunk up normal types of vacuums if it's holding a lot of grease so consider using a wet/dry shop vac if you have one.
- If the grease is too strong, you might need to repeat this process two to three times. Do this until you are convinced that there are no oily substances anymore.
- Now, prepare your detergent. You can take liquid or dry detergent and mix that with the same amount of water to make a solution.
Note: If you apply detergent directly, it might cause discoloration on the carpet. That's why diluting it with water will be safer for the carpet as well.
- Pour the solution into a spray bottle and spray it on the stained area generously.
- Again, take the soft brush and rub the detergent solution on the stained area softly.
- Take your soft towel and blot the area to clean the detergent.
- Only blotting might not remove the detergent completely. In such a case, you can rinse the area after blotting.
- Repeat this process of applying detergent and blotting until the stain is removed completely.
As you repeat the steps, you should be noticing an improvement as you go. Let this be your guide and beacon of hope to keep you from getting frustrated.
Method 2: Using Rubbing Alcohol
Rubbing alcohol can remove grease from the carpet. But the concern is that it is a highly flammable item and can be toxic if ingested. So, while using this material, you need to take precautions to avoid any health hazards. A face mask and hand gloves should be used if you fall into this category.
The items you are going to need are as follows:
- Rubbing alcohol
- Spray bottle
- Paper towel or clean cloth, etc.
You probably have these items already, but if you lack rubbing alcohol, it can be found at nearly any grocery store, general store, or pharmacy.
Steps to Follow
Before you start this procedure, wear a face mask and hand gloves for your safety. Make sure whoever is in that room wears a face mask. And keeping children and physically vulnerable adults away from the location is also necessary.
Open the windows for better ventilation. And don't allow any source that can create any flame. Now, let's get started.
- Put rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle.
- Now, spray a small amount on a clean cloth or paper towel.
- Then press the cloth gently on the stained area.
- The alcohol-infused fabric will absorb the grease slowly.
- Repeat the process until the stain is removed completely.
- When the stain is gone, take another fresh cloth and wet it with water.
- Again, dab the wet fabric to remove the access alcohol from the carpet.
Note: Remove the alcohol carefully, and don't rush while doing any of these steps. As rubbing alcohol is flammable and has a strong smell, allow ventilation until the smell is gone.
Method 3: Using Dish Soap, Vinegar, & Hydrogen Peroxide
Sometimes grease stains can be so strong that using only detergent doesn't really help. Mixing detergent with white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide will help to remove stubborn grease from the carpet.
And none of these chemicals are toxic, so you can perform this method without worrying about health factors. Keep some around too because they're helpful with getting toothpaste out of carpet among other goopy liquids.
Let's have a look at the necessary items:
- White vinegar - 1.5 tablespoons
- Hydrogen Peroxide - 1/4 cup
- Detergent - 1.5 tablespoons
- Water - 1.5 quarts
- Squirt bottle
- Soft cloth
Again, while you probably have most of these items, you may not have white vinegar or hydrogen peroxide. You can obtain both of these at the same grocery store, most likely. Hydrogen peroxide will be found in the pharmacy section of the store. When it comes to how to get grease out of carpet, these can be essential so definitely keep some around.
Steps to Follow
Combining these materials into the correct portion is necessary before you start the procedure. Besides, hydrogen peroxide can cause discoloration in dark-colored carpets. So, before applying it to a darker carpet, test this solution on a non-visible portion.
- Measure all the elements according to the listing above.
- Now combine them one by one and pour them into a squirt bottle.
- Spray the solution on the greasy stain and let that absorb the solution properly.
- Take the cloth and dampen it with the water.
- Dab the damp cloth on the stained surface and let it absorb the stain slowly.
- Repeat this process until the stain is gone.
Note: Rubbing the carpet may cause damage or discoloration to the fabric. That's why press the cloth softly enough to ensure a damage-free application.
Method 4: Apply Dry Cleaning Solvent
Using a dry cleaning solvent is another way to remove grease from the carpet. Cleaning services use this product for dry cleaning. It is safe to use in the house as well. You can find items such as mineral spirits and denatured alcohol at any hardware store, too, which people use to dissolve grease on the rugs of car interiors.
For cleaning the grease in this method, the things you will require are as follows:
- Dry cleaning solvent
- Spray bottle
- Clean cloth
You may not have a dehumidifier and it would be a shame to buy one for this purpose only. I recommend asking friends and family if you can borrow one for a few days as you try this method out.
Steps to Follow
Not every dry cleaning solvent can perform the same, and some might even spread the stain. That's why test the solvent on a small corner before applying it to the stained surface.
If the product you bought from the store passes the test, go to the next steps.
And if the cleaning solvent spreads the stain even more, then stop the procedure instantly and find something that works.
- Take the clean cloth and spray the solvent until the fabric gets wet properly.
- Now dab the damp cloth on the stained area.
- Let the solvent absorb the oil and wait for a few minutes.
- For blotting the area, take another piece of cloth and damp it in warm water.
- Now, blot the stained area gently.
- Repeat the procedure if you still see any stain on the carpet.
- At last, turn the dehumidifier on or let the carpet air dry completely.
Note: Blotting with warm water is extremely important. If you don't remove the solvent properly, it might discolor the carpet. Blotting is the most important step, one to be repeated many times if needed, even in removing blueberry stains from carpet among other juices and liquids.
Grease Removal Tips & Tricks
Grease stains are not easy to remove. And that's why the more you procrastinate, the more effort it will require. Old stains will surely give you hard times. So, whenever you spill grease on the carpet, start the cleaning procedure as soon as possible.
Besides, you must check the manual that comes with your carpet. Not every material responds the same way to these methods. To avoid mishaps, each method should be tested in a non-visible small area of the carpet.
Home remedies are flexible as well. For example, if you don't have baking soda in the house, you can replace it with cornstarch, and the result will be the same. You're just looking to soak out the grease, which is the key aspect of how to get grease stains out of carpet.
Despite using detergent, you can also use dish soap or liquid soap. Last but not least, you can always use a professional cleaning service if you don't have enough time to clean all by yourself.
That’s How to Get Grease Out of Carpet!
Carpets are usually delicate and need special attention when it comes to cleaning. Rubbing too hard or too softly will either damage the carpet, leave the stain behind, or worse, spread the stain around.
Now that you know how to get grease out of carpet, you can also use your regular essential items in hard times. Depending on the condition of the grease, it might take more time and effort, but if you can perform the methods properly, you will surely beat the grease.